Water Department FAQs

How do I apply for a new water service?

Come to the Water Department in City Hall and complete a new service application. Be sure to bring a valid photo ID and a payment of $200.00 which includes a $180.00 deposit and a $20.00 service fee. If you wish to have an irrigation meter, there is an additional service fee charge of $20.00.

Which forms of payment does the Water Department take?

Ocean Springs Water Department will take Cash, Money Orders, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. All credit cards will be charged a 3% administrative fee. If you’re unable to come to City Hall, you can mail your payment to:

1018 Porter Avenue

Ocean Springs, MS 39566

You can pay online or set up your account for automatic bank draft. There is also a drop box at the front door.

How do I get a garbage cart and/or recycling bin?

When you apply for a new service, the Water Department puts in a request to have Waste Pro deliver your bins. If you would like to contact Waste Pro directly, they can be reached at (228) 818-5393.

Click here to view Waste Pro’s Recycling Information

What is the purpose of an irrigation meter?

An irrigation meter measures the water used for swimming pools, gardens, lawns and washing cars, etc. Water registered on this meter does not assess a sewer charge and is billed separately.

Can the deposit be waived if I am in the military?

Unfortunately not; everyone has to pay the deposit.

If I plan to travel, how can I pay my bill to avoid late fees?

Payments can be made online. You can also call the Water Department to find out the amount of your bill.

What if I have a water leak? Can my bill be adjusted?

The Water Department can give adjustments on the sewage portion of your bill for certain water leaks. Sink or toilet water leaks cannot be adjusted. Once you have the leak repaired, complete an adjustment form. Be sure to also bring the adjustment form and any receipts showing repair or material purchased.

How are the meters read?

The Water Department receives at least 4 electronic readings a day.

What do I do if my water is discolored or has a strange smell?

If there is something strange about your water, call the Public Works Department at (228) 875-3955.

What do I do if I need my water lines marked before I start to dig?

If you plan to dig, call 811. 811 will protect you and others from unintentionally hitting underground utility lines.

Who do I call if I have an emergency leak after business hours?

If you have an emergency, please call the Ocean Springs Police Department at (228) 875-2211. The Police Department will then dispatch someone from Public Works to come to your home.

What if I need my water temporarily turned off to make repairs at my home?

If you need your water temporarily turned off, call the Ocean Springs Water Department at (228) 875-4176, and they will send out a technician to turn your water off. Call the Ocean Springs Water Department to turn the water back on.


Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1800, Ocean Springs, MS 39566-1800
Delivery Address: 1018 Porter Avenue, Ocean Springs, MS 39564