FAQs (Public Works)

What are your normal hours of operation?

  •  6:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday
  •  6:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Friday
  •  7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., Saturday
  • The public is asked to refrain from dumping within 30 minutes before the close of business.  This is for the safety of the public and Public Works employees.

Where is your office located?

  • 712-A Pine Drive, Ocean Springs, MS 39564 (behind the Ryan Youth Center, formerly the National Guard Armory)

Who do I call if I have an after-hours emergency or problem?

  • All after-hours emergency calls should be directed to the Police Department at 228.875.2211.

Who do I call to report a problem or submit a Work Order Request?

Who do I call about my Water/Sewer bill or to Set-up/Transfer/Disconnect Service?

  • Call Water Billing at 228.875.4176.  Their department is located at the first window to the right-hand side in City Hall. Their hours 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday.

How much does it cost for a new water/sewer tap?

  • The price varies according to size and availability.  For more information please visit our Municipal Code to read the Ordinances for Water here and Sewer here which cover these charges.  Please read Ordinances carefully as additional fees may be applicable.  A formal request for fees must be made to the Public Works Department by visiting our office or calling 228.875.3955.

How is garbage service handled in the City of Ocean Springs?

  • Waste Pro is currently handling both residential and commercial garbage pick-up services for the City of Ocean Springs.  You can contact them at 228.818.5393.

What day is my garbage collected?

  • Click here to see the Garbage Routes for Ocean Springs.

Where can I place trash that I would like to be picked up?

  • Please place trash curbside on City right of way.  Do not place trash on drain inlets, near fire hydrants, or transformers.

Where can I dispose of hazardous items/materials?

  • Hazardous items/materials can only be properly disposed of during the annual Countywide Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day.  This event is scheduled for the spring and is organized by the Jackson County Solid Waste Department.

There is a dead animal in the road or on City Right-of-Way.  Who do I call?

  • Dead animals on City Right-of-Way are picked up by a designated employee in the Public Works office. Public Works cannot remove dead animals from private property. Call 228.875.3955 to report. Live animals may be picked up by the Animal Control office or click here to complete the Animal Control Form online.

How do I dispose of grease?

  • Dispose of used grease, after cooling, in your garbage – not in the sink.  Grease is the biggest problem we have in our sewer system.

Who do I call for street light outages?

  • Public Works maintains City-owned lights.  Please report your street light outages directly to your utility provider.

Who do I call if I will be digging or excavating? 

  • Protect yourselves and your property against all underground utility damage and liability (not just City utilities such as water and wastewater pipes)
  • Call 811 before you dig to find out where the underground utility lines might be buried.  The service is free and it’s the law.  Go to www.ms811.org to find out more.

How is the trash service handled in the City of Ocean Springs?

  • We run trash trucks through neighborhoods the day after your scheduled garbage pick-up.  Please be advised that this schedule will alter due to holidays and any other unforeseen circumstances.

Do you have sandbags?

  • Sandbags may be made available to the public in the event of a declared emergency.  Please contact our office at 228.875.3955 for further information.

My address is listed as Ocean Springs.  Do you serve my area?

  • Your address can be listed as Ocean Springs but you may not fall within the Municipal City Limits.  The City of Ocean Springs serves all those that fall within the Municipal City Limits of Ocean Springs.

If your location is north of the Fort Bayou Bridge (St. Martin area) on Hwy 609 (Washington Ave), you are in West Jackson County.  Your water and sewer are handled by West Jackson County Utility Authority.  They can be reached at 228.872.3898.  Garbage and trash pick-up are handled by Jackson County Solid Waste.

Click here for more information on garbage and trash pick-up.

All other issues can be addressed by calling the West Jackson County Barn at 228.875.4545.

If you are located in Gulf Park Estates or St. Andrews Area, you are in Jackson County.  Gulf Park Estates water and sewer are handled by Utility Services. They can be reached at 228.872.4904.  Effective February 28, 2017, St. Andrews water and sewer are handled by Jackson County Utility Authority. They can be reached at 228.762.0119. Garbage and trash pick-up are handled by Jackson County Solid Waste.

Click here for more information on garbage and trash pick-up.

All other issues can be addressed by calling Jackson County at 228.769.3378.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1800, Ocean Springs, MS 39566-1800
Delivery Address: 1018 Porter Avenue, Ocean Springs, MS 39564