Police FAQs (How Do I…?)

When should I call 911?
9-1-1 should be used in emergencies only, when immediate police, fire, and/or medical assistance is needed. Examples of this are crimes in progress, crashes with injuries, or life-threatening situations. Otherwise, use the non-emergency number (228) 875-2211.

What are the Police Department’s hours?
The Ocean Springs Police Department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. However, the lobby and Records Office is staffed only from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding city holidays). If assistance is required other than these times, call our Dispatch Unit at (228) 875-2211 or go to the back lobby of the police station and press the call button on the wall.

Where is the Ocean Springs Police Department located?
We are located at 3810 Bienville Blvd, Ocean Springs, MS 39564..

How do I file a Police Report?
There are two ways to file a report with Ocean Springs Police Department:

Call our Dispatch Unit at (228) 875-2211 to request an officer to meet you at your location (must be inside Ocean Springs city limits) to take a report.


Come to Ocean Springs Police Department at 3810 Bienville Blvd, Ocean Springs, MS 39564. Stop at the Records Office in the lobby to request an officer to meet with you to take a report.

You cannot file a report over the phone.

How can I obtain a copy of my Police Report? Is there a fee?
Accident/crash reports are available at a cost of $20.00 each. You may obtain these reports in person at the OSPD Records Office or online through eCrash. Parking lot accidents are not on eCrash. They are available through our Records Office only. The cost is $20.00 each.

The Records Office accepts payments in EXACT CHANGE ONLY and CASH or MONEY ORDER ONLY. We do not maintain a cash drawer to make change. We do not accept any bill higher than $20.00. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Incident/crime reports are available on a case-by-case basis. The first copy of the incident report is free. Submit your request for these reports in person at the OSPD Records Office. A valid photo ID is required. Under no circumstances do we give out copies of reports that involve juveniles.

Do you do background checks? How much do they cost?
Residents of the City of Ocean Springs may obtain a personal, local background check through our Records Office at a cost of $15.00 each. This background check covers only the requesting individual’s history within the jurisdiction of the Ocean Springs Police Department. You cannot obtain a background check on someone other than yourself.

The Records Office accepts payments in EXACT CHANGE ONLY and CASH or MONEY ORDER ONLY. We do not maintain a cash drawer to make change. We do not accept any bill higher than $20.00. NO EXCEPTIONS.

NOTE: An Ocean Springs mailing address does not necessarily mean that you live within the city limits of Ocean Springs. Background checks are available only to residents with the city limits.

Do you do Criminal History Checks?
The Ocean Springs Police Department does not accept requests for individual criminal history checks. You may obtain your Identity History Summary (aka criminal history check) through the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Systems Division. Please visit the FBI website here for information and instructions.

Can I get my fingerprints done at the Police Department?
Yes, you may have your fingerprints made through the OSPD Records Office, but only during certain hours. The cost is $15.00 for the first card and $5.00 for each additional card for the same individual. A valid photo ID is required. Subject to appropriate personnel being available, the Ocean Springs Police Department will do public fingerprinting (for employment, licensure, etc.) during the following hours:
Mondays – 3:00-4:00 p.m.
Tuesdays – 3:00-4:00 p.m.
Thursdays – 3:00-4:00 p.m.
Fridays – 3:00-4:00 p.m.

The Records Office accepts payments in EXACT CHANGE ONLY and CASH or MONEY ORDER ONLY. We do not maintain a cash drawer to make change. We do not accept any bill higher than $20.00. NO EXCEPTIONS.

NOTICE: Ocean Springs Police Department is NOT affiliated with Fieldprint or any other third-party scheduler or payment processor for public fingerprinting (for licensure, employment, etc). Ocean Springs Police Department receives the public fingerprinting fee only in person and at time of service. We do not make appointments for this service.

How do I obtain information through open records?
Request for copies of public record are handled by the City Clerk’s Office. Please click here to be redirected. An hourly fee applies for time/research, and a copy fee applies per page. As allowed by law, we have 7 days to process the request.

What should I do when I see flashing lights behind me?
If you see flashing lights behind you, you should pull to the right and slow down. When an officer is trying to stop you, you should pull off of the roadway when it is safe and come to a stop. If you are stopped at night, turn your interior dome light on. Limit your movements inside your vehicle until the officer approaches and requests your license and insurance information. Understand that traffic stops are inherently unpredictable in the eyes of an officer, and reaching into your glove box, purse, or pocket as the officer approaches only adds to an already tense situation.

Can a Police Officer require me to exit my car?
Yes. More often than not, a Police Officer will ask the driver and passengers to remain in the car. However, a Police Officer has the authority to order the driver or passenger to exit the car. The United States Supreme Court ruled on this question in Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 U.S. 106 (1977) and Maryland v. Wilson, 519 U.S. 408 (1997)

Can a Police Officer search my car without my permission?
A Police Officer can search a motor vehicle with your consent, or without your consent with a search warrant, or without consent or a warrant given the officer meets one of the recognized exceptions to the search warrant requirement. Among these exceptions are probable cause, plain view, incident to arrest, and inventory searches.

What documents am I required to provide an officer on a traffic stop?
In the State of Mississippi, an operator of a motor vehicle must possess a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.

If I have a legally-owned firearm in my car, what should I do when stopped by a Police Officer?
The State of Mississippi does not require a firearms permit or registration of any kind for a person to openly carry a firearm or to carry the firearm in the person’s vehicle. If you are stopped by an officer for a traffic violation, it would be polite to inform the officer you have a legally-possessed firearm in the car. This is especially helpful if you have to reach the area containing the firearm.

May I record a Police Officer who has stopped me for a traffic violation?
Yes, provided your recording does not interfere with the officer’s duties, create a public disturbance, or create an unsafe environment for you or others, such as stepping out in traffic to accomplish the recording.

I got ticketed by the Police Department. How much does it cost and how can I pay for it?
Contact the Ocean Springs Municipal Court at (228) 875-5009 to answer your question. Their hours are 8:00 a.m.-noon on Wednesday, and 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (excluding city holidays).

What should I do if I’m involved in a collision?
Call 911, and follow the instructions of the dispatcher. If it’s a minor collision with no injuries, you can call the non-emergency number at (228) 875-2211

Can I get a TPO (Temporary Protective Order) at the Ocean Springs Police Department?
No. A restraining order can only be issued by a court.

How do I deal with theft?
To report a theft, call (228) 875-2211.

Most thefts are opportunistic, so make it more difficult for the theft to take place. For example, never leave valuable objects (laptop, I-pod, cell phone, purse, etc.) in open view inside your parked car. Make sure you write down all your serial numbers and identification markings. Place the list in a safe place or two -maybe a list at home, and email yourself at work. With the public’s help we can reduce thefts, recover more stolen property and arrest more thieves.

How can I speak to the detective/investigator assigned to my case?
Call (228) 875-2211.

Is it possible to get an extra patrol while away on vacation?
You may notify us that you’ll be gone, but the police department does not provide private security for your home, nor do we in any way guarantee the security of an individual property.

Does the Police Department have a neighborhood watch or a business watch program?
Yes. Contact the Deputy Chief at (228) 875-2211.

Who do I call to ask about someone who has been arrested?
Call us at (228) 875-2211 The arrest docket is public information.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1800, Ocean Springs, MS 39566-1800
Delivery Address: 1018 Porter Avenue, Ocean Springs, MS 39564