WATER DEPARTMENT LABORER
Status: Hourly, Full-Time, Benefits
Hours: Monday-Thursday 6:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Friday 6:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Assistant Supervisor and Water Department Supervisor
CHAIN OF COMAND/SUPERVISION RECEIVED
Assistant Water Supervisor, Water Department Supervisor and/or Public Works Director
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a Commercial Class driver’s license (A or B with air brake endorsement) within six (6) months
- Willing to work after hours or on the weekend as necessary
- Daily maintenance of the water system
- Digging, spreading, and leveling dirt and shells or gravel, using pick and shovel
- Lifting, carrying, and holding building materials, tools, and supplies
- Cleaning tools, equipment, materials, and work areas
- Joining, repairing, and sealing sections of pipes, valves and fittings
- Performing a variety of other routine, non machine tasks
- Performing a variety of other daily routine duties
- A working knowledge of the use of hand tools in construction and maintenance work
- Ability to follows directions in performing assigned tasks – verbal, radio, written work orders
- Ability to get along well with others and good physical condition
- Be familiar with the operation of some heavy equipment and have unlimited skills to operate this machinery if necessary
- Must be able to investigate water problems and make decisions on how to fix the problem
- Must exhibit a positive attitude
- Must be willing to cross train with other Public Work sub-departments (sewer, street, etc.) and perform other duties outside of department which includes, but is not limited to, grass cutting and hauling trash
- Must be willing to learn and adhere to MS811 law (Operation Dig)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or GED equivalent. General experience in the performance of technical tasks in the construction, maintenance, of the water systems, or related work is required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals, in some cases, with disability to perform essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Outdoor work in inclement weather is performed throughout the year.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed.
Note: The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude then from the position if the work is similar or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.