Status: Hourly, Full-Time, Benefits
Hours: Shift work and Shift rotations
DISPATCHER JOB DESCRIPTION
The Dispatcher receives public and officer contact through multiple sources and on multiple lines; dispatches police, fire, and EMS units to accident scenes and crime scenes; maintains communication with officers in the field; relays information as it comes in from callers; refers calls not related to the Police Department; and other duties which may be assigned. This work requires responsible and accurate performance of duties. Each Dispatcher is assigned to a particular shift and works at the Ocean Springs Police Department on Bienville Blvd.
General Supervision: Lead Dispatcher, Administrative Captain, Deputy Chief, Chief
Direct Supervision: Lead Dispatcher, Shift Lieutenant
Dispatcher Starting Pay Rate: $13.00/hour
Experienced = Training and experience will be evaluated to determine salary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives and transmits all telephone and radio messages
- Keeps radio patrols advised of developments and proper approach in handling of crime and criminals when such guidance is necessary
- Receives reports and complaints coming to Police Headquarters by telephone, car radio, and other sources
- Monitors Alert and Alarm Systems and passes information on to the proper persons when emergency data are transmitted to them
- Calls ambulance services and repair crews as needed
- Keeps a log showing all pertinent information received during a shift
- Assists in booking prisoners
- Exchanges information with the National Crime Information Center as required
- Maintains card files and gives information when requested on stolen cars, missing persons, etc.
- Maintains radio contact with State authorities and surrounding cities
- Observes burglar alarms connected to Police Headquarters
- Acts as Deputy Court Clerk receiving fines and bail bonds, issuing affidavits and arrest warrants on crimes and misdemeanors, and issuing subpoenas to witnesses
- Collects and documents monies receives, i.e. bonds, fines, copy monies
- Shall become familiar with all city ordinances
- Any technical action that needs clarification, i.e. laws, rules, regulations, if not positively known and referenced, shall not be released to any person without advice from the Chief of Police.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, accounting, and/or data processing.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; modern office practices and procedures; and standard office software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Skill in Operating Listed Tools and Equipment
- Ability to perform arithmetic computations accurately and quickly
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish successful working relationships
- Ability to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions
- Ability to work with angry and difficult customers.
- Be able to read and write standard English and the ability to speak English clearly.
Tools and Equipment Used: Personal computer, telephone, fax and copy machines
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Requires sufficient finger dexterity to operate computer keyboards.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus, 20/20 corrected vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
Submission of completed Employment Application (with resume as a supplement only) to Human Resources; notification of examination date and location; written examination; evaluation of education and experience; oral interview and reference/background check; other job-related tests as required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed as a Dispatcher. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.