AFTER SCHOOL/CAMP COUNSELOR
Status: Hourly, Part-Time
Hours: 2:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The incumbent will assist in the planning, implementing, and evaluating programs and special events associated with the daycare/summer camp program offered by the Parks and Leisure Department. The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Camps Coordinator and will also assist in other duties as assigned.
- Provide leadership and guidance for one or more specific activities for participants
- Provide growth and development opportunities for each camper
- Development and operation of specific tasks designated by the Coordinator
- Provide an enjoyable and meaningful experience for each participant
- Set a good example in promptness, manners, language, health, and appearance (uniform required)
- Set a good example in respect and care for the outdoors
- Ability to work with children of all abilities and provide for each of their respective needs
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- Must have high school diploma or GED Equivalent
- Preferred – One year of experience working with school-age children
- Preferred – Prior experience in a customer related field
- High levels of enthusiasm, patience, and concern for people of all ages
- Experience or significant evidence of emotional maturity, good moral character, judgment, integrity, and leadership capability
- Enjoyment and appreciation for children as well as the outdoors
- Ability to adapt to changing needs and circumstances
- Current Child/Adult CPR and First Aid Certification
- Completion of all necessary MSDH requirements for licensure: In-Service Training, Orientation, FBI Background Check, Immunization Documentation, etc.
- Must be able to get along with other employees as well as participants within Parks & Recreation Department Programs
- Should also be able to maintain effective relationship with outside professionals relating to the programs and services offered by the Parks & Recreation Department.
- Plan, supervise, and implement designated activities to include but not be limited to Arts & Crafts, Sports, Swimming, and other activities designed for school-age children
- Monitor and supervise participants in an interactive manner during program activities
- Serve as department liaison when assigned to attend other functions and events associated with the City of Ocean Springs Parks & Recreation Department and its programs
- Assist, fill in, and perform all other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Walking, squatting, climbing, hearing, swimming, standing for periods longer than one hour, pushing (up to 100 lbs.), lifting (up to 100 lbs.), sitting, pulling (up to 100 lbs.), speech, and vision
- Must be able to lift and move program equipment properly as needs arise
- Must be physically able to participate in high-energy activities