FAQs (Fire Department)

Can I burn within the city limits?
All parties wishing to burn vegetation must contact the fire department and provide a phone number and address. You must also call back the day at 228-875-4063 you intend to burn to confirm that the weather is permitting. You can only burn during the daytime and must have a hose that is close enough to extinguish the fire. The fire can be no larger than 4’ by 4’. The burning of petroleum based products are not permitted. Please also be advised that if another party calls to complain, the fire department will be dispatched, and you will be asked to extinguish your fire.

What is the process for filling a swimming pool?
Please contact the Water Department and make arrangements for paying the $100 deposit for the meter. They will refer you to the fire department where you can bring your receipt to 3820 Bienville Blvd for scheduling. The actual charge is based on usage/gallon. If any funds are due back for overage, the water department will issue a refund check.

How do I obtain a copy of a fire report?
Click here to complete the fire report release form. Once completed please email it to: fire@oceansprings-ms.gov

What is the City of Ocean Springs Fire safety insurance rating?
The rating is on a 10 point scale, 1 being the best and 10 being the worst. The City of Ocean Springs has received a rating of 5. Please visit msratingbureau.com for further explanation on how this affects your rates. This rating is evaluated every 5 years.

Does the fire department check the levels and efficiency of fire extinguishers?
No, we do not currently check them. However you can find a commercial extinguisher company by checking online or in the phone book.

How often do commercial business need to have their extinguishers recertified?
An annual inspection by a commercial fire extinguisher company is required.

Why is my water brown?
Sometimes because of construction or the use of fire hydrants near your residence or business, you might find that your water becomes discolored. This is caused by deposits that have accumulated inside the water pipe walls. This can appear unpleasant, however, it is temporary, and it is not harmful. If you are experiencing this issue, turn the faucet on and let the water run until the water appears clear. If the problem continues or doesn’t resolve, please contact the City of Ocean Springs Public Works Department at 228-875-3955.

Does the Fire Department install child safety seats?
Due to the changing regulations and design of seats, we are unable to guarantee your child’s safety so we do not currently take appointments or “walk-ins” for installations or for inspections of child safety seats.

How frequently should I change the battery in my residential smoke detectors?
The National Fire Protection Agency suggests that you should check the battery in your detectors on a monthly basis and change them as needed. In addition, it is suggested that the best practice would be to change the battery when the time changes. The best option is to find specific data on your make and model of the detector as some have a long-lasting battery that may not need to be replaced as frequently.

How frequently should I change out the smoke detector unit?
Although it is best to check the manufacturer’s handbook, a common practice is to change out the alarms every ten years, if applicable.

Which agencies offer assistance to victims after a fire?
The Red Cross and the Salvation Army are two organizations that offer local assistance in our area.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1800, Ocean Springs, MS 39566-1800
Delivery Address: 1018 Porter Avenue, Ocean Springs, MS 39564