World War II


The wartime economy on the Mississippi coast was supported by the Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation at Pascagoula and Keesler Field at Biloxi. Ocean Springs with its excellent location between the two industries, small town atmosphere, and oak and magnolia lined streets was a desirable place to reside. The town developed its “bedroom community” label at this time, which remains today. During this era, many small developments to fulfill the paucity of housing in the area were completed. The Terry Courts on the front beach at Martin Avenue and the Heffner Courts (now Dale Cottages) on Porter were built. The former bandstand in Marshall Park was moved to the grounds of the Bayou Inn and converted to an “octagon rental house.” Also, a crash boat squadron operated by the Army Air Corps for rescuing downed pilots in the Gulf of Mexico was bivouacked at the Inner Harbor.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1800, Ocean Springs, MS 39566-1800
Delivery Address: 1018 Porter Avenue, Ocean Springs, MS 39564