City History


The rich city history of Ocean Springs starts when it was first discovered in 1699 by French explorer Pierre Le Moyne D'Iberville and was incorporated on September 9, 1892. The population at this time was fifteen-hundred people and the city had an area of about 1800 acres (approximately 3 square miles). By 1996, the area of Ocean Springs had increased to 7168 acres (about 11 square miles) with a population exceeding fifteen thousand persons.

For information on the history of Ocean Springs, please click on the sidebar links to the left to learn more or visit the Ocean Springs Archives.

City History of Ocean Springs Vintage Photo


Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1800, Ocean Springs, MS 39566-1800
Delivery Address: 1018 Porter Avenue, Ocean Springs, MS 39564