Golf Cart Use on Public City Streets
City of Ocean Springs Ordinance Chapter 14, Article V, sets forth the requirements and parameters for the operation of golf carts on public streets within the City limits. These rules apply and must be followed
- Golf carts that are to be operated on a public road or street must be registered with the City of Ocean Springs. The cost for the registration is twenty dollars $20 per year, to cover the costs of administration. Upon registration, a decal will be provided; it must be displayed on the left rear fender of the vehicle. The registration shall remain valid for one year and will need to be renewed annually.
- Golf carts must have parking brakes, head-lights, tail lights, seat belts, and turn signals
- Golf carts must have a windshield, brake lights, side reflectors, and rearview mirrors, in addition, to the items listed above in number 2.
- Golf carts may be operated only on streets with a speed limit of 30 mph or lower, except when crossing a road with a higher speed limit.
- On 4-lane roads, the golf cart must use the right lane.
- Driver’s License and Permit laws apply. Unlicensed drivers are not permitted to operate a golf cart on public streets.
- Proof of insurance is required.
- You must obey all traffic and parking laws. This includes seat belt use by all occupants. Citations, towing, arrest, and other legal enforcement may apply.
- Yes, golf cart operators can be arrested for DUI.
- Road closures do apply to golf carts. Do not enter areas that are closed to traffic for events, weather, emergency, or any other reason. This includes but is not limited to, Cruisin’ the Coast and the Peter Anderson Festival.
Areas Where Golf Carts Are Allowed
- Can I drive my cart on HWY 90?
No golf carts are not allowed to be driven on HWY 90 but can cross at 3 intersections: Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue/Vermont Avenue, Holcomb Boulevard, and Guilford Road. These intersections are marked on our map.
- Can children ride on a golf cart?
Yes. Children can ride on a golf cart. They need to be properly strapped in a 5-point harness car seat just like in a vehicle.
- Can I get a DUI on a golf cart?
Yes. You can be charged with DUI on a golf cart. While driving the cart, you are required to follow all the traffic laws just as if you were in a regular vehicle.
- Can I register a utv?
No. You cannot register an utv. The city only allows “golf carts” to be registered. Honda Pioneer, Polaris RZR, can am Maverick, arctic cat, big horn, bobcat, john deer gator, Kawasaki Mule, and Yamaha Rhino are not allowed to be registered.
- How much does it cost to register my cart?
The fee to register a golf cart is $20 a year. This yearly registration expires on January 1st and will need to be renewed yearly if you plan to drive this on the city roads.
- Can children drive golf carts?
No. Children are not allowed to drive golf carts on city streets. You must have a valid driver’s license/driver's permit to operate golf carts on public property.
- I live in the East end of town can I drive my golf cart to the downtown area?
As of right now, the only way for you to drive your golf cart downtown is to trailer it to the downtown area.