The City Clerk’s office is directed by Patty Gaston. The City Clerk and Deputy City Clerk, pursuant to the requirements of State law, perform many duties essential to the operation of a municipal government. The City Clerk is at the center of all city services and provides a direct link between citizens and their local government. The City Clerk and Deputy City Clerk serve the changing needs of their community.
- View 2021 Municipal Election Information on this page.
The Clerk’s Office Keeps Government Moving Forward
The distinguished political scientist William Bennett Munro stated, "No other office in municipal service has so many contacts. It serves the mayor, the city council, the city manager (when there is one), and all administrative departments without exception. All of them call upon it, almost daily, for some service or information. Its work is not spectacular, but it demands versatility, alertness, accuracy, and no end of patience. The public does not realize how many loose ends of city administration this office pulls together".
Duties of City Clerk's Office
Clerk Of Mayor & Board Of Aldermen
- Keeps the Municipal Minutes in which all official actions of the governing authorities are recorded.
- Keeps the Ordinance Book and certifies ordinances.
- Keeps the Municipal Docket (AGENDA), the list of subjects to be acted upon by the governing authorities at their meeting.
- Certified, with the mayor, all municipal codes after the adoption of the Board of Aldermen.
- Serves as custodian of the municipal seal.
- Keeps the financial records in proper order for budgetary and audit purposes.
- Prepares budgets and budget amendments in accordance with Governmental Fund Accounting Standards.
- Keeps a "Docket of Claims” in which are recorded all accounts payable.
- Issues, with the approval of the governing authorities, warrant paying claims.
- Serves as Treasurer and auditor of the municipality.
- Makes monthly financial reports to the governing authority.
- Administers grant and bond registers.
Tax Assessor & Collector
- Prepares tax levy for city and school district.
- Receives tax settlement and distributes to city and school districts.
- Issues licenses and permits.
- Prepares payroll for approximately 200 employees.
- Maintains personnel records.
- Files required federal and state reports and reports to the Public Employees Retirement System.
- Serves as registrar of voters.
- Conducts municipal general and special elections.
Utility Billing & Collections
- Reads approximately 7,800 water meters per month.
- Bills and collects water, sewer, and garbage fees monthly.
- Preserves public records.
- Records and directs citizen concerns and complaints.