Building Department

The Building Department oversees construction permits, various contractor licenses, and inspections. Whether replacing shingles or rebuilding a home, permits, and inspections are required of the Building Department. The City has adopted and works under the 2018 International Building Codes. Any work over $100 that is not flooring or painting is required to be permitted through the City.

Flood Information

This department enforces the City's adopted Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, requiring an 18" freeboard above the current Base Flood Elevation, which was updated by FEMA in March 2009. Any structure within a Special Flood Hazard Area is required to follow special guidelines adopted by the City, which this department will help you navigate.

View the city's flood ordinance.

Flood Safety Information

The 2005 Hurricane season will remain infamous to coastal residents due to the devastating damages caused by Hurricane Katrina. The Storm surges were unheard of prior to Katrina and reshaped many of the properties along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Ocean Springs wants to ensure that structures that are built within the City are built strong, safe, and in a manner that much of the same devastation does not occur once again.

The Building Department is available to help you accomplish these goals. Even if you do not live in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), many areas in our community can become inundated during the heavy rain that can occur in a coastal area. If you plan on doing any type of construction or are interested in buying property within the City limits of Ocean Springs, please call and ask about the flood zone information and what type of construction may occur. Any development in the flood plain must be permitted.

Please check this Flood Safety (PDF) for more information.

National Flood Insurance Program

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) makes federally-backed flood insurance available for all buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including the Gulf of Mexico flowing over its banks, a lake or ocean storm, and local drainage problems.

The National Flood Insurance Program Website.


The NFIP insures buildings, including mobile homes, with two types of coverage:

  1. Structural coverage is for the walls, floors, insulation, furnace, and other items permanently attached to the structure.
  2. Contents coverage may be purchased separately provided the contents are in an insurable building.


For more detailed information please consult the NFIP manual:

Provided Services

  • Uses FIRM to determine if a property is within an SFHA.
  • Collects additional flood insurance data for a site, such as the flood zone and the base flood elevation.
  • Maintains repair information on structures located within the SFHA.

    (A structure cannot receive more than 50% of repairs/improvements within 10 year period if not compliant with the current FEMA FIRM map)

  • Maintain files of Current Elevation Certificates

  • Provide online FEMA flood maps on the City Map

  • Provide information on how to protect your property from floods

  • Maintains Flood Damage Prevent Ordinance

Check National Hurricane Program (PDF) for more information.

Code Enforcement deals with overgrown properties and the cleaning of private property, derelict vehicles, illegal signs, and other nuisances. For complaints, please contact the Code Enforcer, Richard Hutcherson, at 228-230-1966 or 228-219-3413.


The Building Department oversees tree removal and maintenance of protected trees within the City. These trees include Live Oaks and Magnolias. There is now a $25 tree permit fee.

Get an Application For a Permit (PDF) or check this for more information on Trimming Or Removing Protected Trees (PDF).

Storm Water

For any stormwater or stormwater-related issues or complaints, please contact Mr. Terry Franklin at 228-875-6712. When leaving a message, please include the location, type of complaint, and any additional contact information needed to assist with resolving the issue in a timely manner.

Check this for the City's Stormwater Ordinance and additional information (PDF).


Adopt-A-Stream is a program that promotes environmental stewardship and wants to involve citizens in caring for and conserving our water resources.

For permit applications, please email  Darla or stop by our office Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 4:30 pm

For any questions about lot splits, variances, setbacks, zoning, or historic property adjustments, contact the Planning Department at 875-4415.

Are You Prepared For Hurricane Season?Tropical-Weather-7-2-1536x646

  • 1 inch of flooding can result in $25k in damage to your home.
  • In the event of a hurricane, there are many things that we do to prepare our homes. Help protect your wallet, too, with a flood insurance policy.
  • Visit to help protect you in the event of a disaster.